Friday 2 March 2012

Illustrated People

Developing a particular style of drawing is a key element in conveying who we are as designers; it's the first thing the industry reads about us and our designs therefore they MUST be eye catching, bold and of course contemporary in a unique way. Yes, a lot to live up to.

Practice makes perfect....

The chosen brand for  my current project: Maison Martin Margiela (above image from MMM S/S 2009 Collection). 
The task: To replicate the above catwalk image as a Fashion Drawing conveying a sense of movement within the garments using mixed media, gaining a sense of proportion and stance of the model.



I struggled initially with proportion however I feel I conveyed the image as accurately as possible; more highlights could be added to the piece to create more depth but overall I am pleased with the outcome. I used mixed media of water colours, pencils and chalk pastels.

The second part of the task entailed picking a Fashion Illustrator and replicating their style. My chosen illustrator was Achraf Amiri. Amiri's illustrations are extremely ghoul like with their wide, zombie eyes and frail bodies. I find his style really eye catching, they allude to a completely bizarre world of strange fashion creatures.




 Overall I think my translation of this illustration was successful, I was quite bold with colour and tried not to be afraid in it's application however  I feel more attention to detail is need around the bottom half of the skirt in relation to depth of tone. I think I could have created a more three-dimensional effect. For this drawing I combined water colours, gouache paints and pencil.

No comments:

Post a Comment